Friday, July 11, 2014

Stephanie visits Burkina!!

In March, Stephanie, one of my best friends from Morton, WA, came out to visit. Her trip was so well timed! The day after she came in was the wedding of my friend Ade, my language teacher when I first arrived in country.


So weddings in Burkina tend to have three parts. They start at the local mayor’s office where they sign the marriage certificate, exchange rings and take photos.



Then the party moves to the church and a service is held with multiple couples at the same time, each exchanging vows and rings. Once the service is done, the wedding parties join the audience; they form a circle around the pews and dance. I’ve decided that I really like this type of dancing- you’re always moving around the room, and everyone’s moving together. 


On the way to the reception- the third part- we see a truck broken down and a bride out pushing the truck to get it started. As we get closer we realize the bride is Ade! And the truck is an army tank! She’s there wearing combat boots and a helmet, her husband is next to her, and there are tv cameras filming her. We suddenly become curious who exactly was the person Ade just married… Never figured out his title, but their entrance to the reception under a salute of swords only further peaked our curiosity. 


After the wedding Stephanie and I headed to the mask festival in Dedougou, which occurs every two years. There are enough videos and pictures of that I will have to save it for the next blog (which won’t be 6 months later).

Then we traveled up north to my site, Kossouka! It was so nice having someone from home meet my friends and just be there to hang out with during the down time of the day.

Hanging out with a friend in village while he makes his sculptures



Steph keeping busy during one of my meetings

Stephanie had been a pen pal with my best friend in site, Risnata. It was so exciting that she was actually able to come and they could meet each other! 

Risnata got Steph and me matching Huit Marz (International Women's Day, 8th March) traditional pagne 

Before Steph flew out, we stopped by the park and got to see some crocodiles sun bathing and a peacock showing off his feathers. It was the first time I has ever seen one open up in real life, gosh, so mesmerizing.


The steph (plus)-size ant hill we stumbled on 

Right? Gorgeous! And huge!

Highlight of the trip was getting to celebrate Stephanie’s acceptance to Milligan University for her Masters in Occupational Therapy! We treated ourselves with a visit to Gondwana, a restaurant that feels like you’re eating in a desert tent that is also an amazing art gallery.

CONGRATULATIONS!! 

Such a well timed and much needed visit- thanks for coming Stephanie!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment