Saturday, July 12, 2014


International Women’s Day is March 8th. Wanting to do a simple but fun activity for the girls in Kossouka, I asked the town’s Inspection (school board) if they would be interested in organizing and funding a girls soccer tournament for CM2 girls (6th graders). If the town was willing to support and host the event, I could donate an old soccer trophy I had. 

Before championship game- Ecole C

Before championship game- Ecole B


My expectation was a really modest event. A series of games the week of Huit Marz (March 8th) with a well-attended but simple finale on the 8th.  I was aware the boy’s had an annual tournament but assumed, seeing as this was the first time girls were going to be encouraged to play, the finale wouldn’t be much of a spectacle for the town, just a chance to give the girls an organized event to participate in. The modest expectations I held hugely under estimated my town’s commitment to host an event and give the girls the same spot light as the boys.

The crowd that came to watch the final!

During the second meeting, after agreeing to the concept, I was shown the budget. It was way over what I thought necessary. But- I think this might be part of a second year volunteer mentality?- I let it be and reminded them the budget could be what they wanted, as long as they found the means to fund it.




And they did! The whole tournament ended up having six teams of fifteen girls, ninety girls total getting to participate, each playing a minimum of two games. The finale had a tent, sound system, cash money prizes, an MC, and was attended by the heads of Kossouka. 

The end of the championship game was tied, so a shoot off was held...

Ecole B getting ready...

And they made it! 
Listening to the MC repeat the opening lines I gave “differences between girls and boys are a matter of opportunity, not capacity” throughout the game, hearing the mayor comment with surprise to the other adults how well the girls were playing, watching the girls hold their own and play a good game, and seeing the team’s freak out excitement at the end was so much more exciting than I had anticipated. Kossouka- the school board who organized the tournament, the teachers who coached the girls, and the town who donated all the money- completely took me by surprise how much they got behind the event. 




Captain of the winning team with their trophy


The mayor, prefet, head of school inspection, and other members of the community who helped organize the event 


Weird end note: the Inspection insisted on calling the event “Coupe de FLAMM Elizabeth” (awkward request to have my father get that engraved on the trophy…), giving me one of the moments I am relieved I am the final volunteer here and don’t have to wonder what egotistical reputation later volunteers would think I had. I really hope though the town’s insistence on the name is just out of appreciation for the trophy, and they realize the ENTIRE event was facilitated completely by them, funds, making the schedule, getting equipment, everything. They say this will now be an annual Huit Marz event. We’ll see… if they have the same memory of the ecstatic mayhem after the game, hopefully it’ll encourage another showing next year. 

Winning team with their trophy :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment