Wednesday, July 3, 2013

So... what exactly do you do?

Its strange to recognize I am over a fourth of the way through my time in the PeaceCorps. It causes a strange mix reaction: encouraging to realize time is passing by, motivating to get projects going, but also makes my stomach turn at the thought that I have to do that again... three more times?!

It is said that 6 months at site is recognized to be a trying time for most volunteers. You feel pretty accustomed to life, have a solid grasp of the language(s) and are ready to start doing work. But work here progresses at a bizarre pace and cycle. And since multiple people have asked what exactly I'm doing, I figured I would try to briefly explain how I fill the days.

Baobab trees! They are enormous and ancient. 

PCVs have three goals. The first is to assist our communities develop in the ways they request. My priority being health means I assist in organizing different sensiblization campaigns regarding topics such as: malaria, family planning, malnutrition, and hygiene. However, I am not limited to health. Any projects at the schools or for the development of Kossouka are possible as well. Many projects have been discussed and began, though it is not clear which will continue consistently: English club at the lycee/high school; girls soccer; community garden; health theater group; improving visual aids at a primary school; revamping the town's library; malaria campaigns; and family planning promotion.

Bringing some of the early childhood resorces I am working on to Habibu's courtyard to read with the kids there. 

The second and third goal of the PeaceCorps is where much more of my time is invested. They are essentially to foster a cultural exchange between the American volunteers and our host countries: to bring back to the U.S. knowledge and appreciation of another country (How many people knew where Burkina Faso was before? Check!), as well as to be a representative of America to our host communities. America is known across the world; its necessary communities have individuals they have friendships with to associate with America beyond whatever concept has developed from the media.

As another PCV in Burkina said “To simply live here is 2/3 of our job.” So during the rainy season when everyone else is being working in the fields, schools are on vacation, and doing actual health work needs to wait, investing in our second and third goals is a pretty satisfying and amusing way to live life. For instance...

I went to watch the traditional dance, Fango, a three day dance around the market praying for good rain. I made the obvious mistake of getting there right on time as the event began. Thus making me even more visible than I usually am and was grabbed to come join/lead the dance.
Beginnings of the march... notice how impossible it would be to inconspicuously join in 

To clarify: I like dancing at events! But I prefer to slip in the middle and decrease how visible I am. Since it was just getting started, they put me front and center. Embarrassing for the obvious reason how exposed I was but secondly there was no one in front of me except for little kids to watch and know how I should be dancing! I am developing incredibly thick sick and losing any pride....

A shot from behind me while dancing. Look how many people eventually came to watch, and check out the kids in the trees hanging out getting a good view. 


I spend a lot of time with my neighbors Joel and Abdoulaye.













And still make visits to see Habibu and hang out with her family.

The women have just applied a new floor to their courtyard and use stones to smooth it out. 

I have tried to go out and help in the fields multiple times. 
This is Awa! My courtyard wall is the back wall to her coffee stand. She corrects anyone who calls me "Nasara", gives me free bread and gateau and took me out to her fields one day. 
But after about 15 minutes of cultivating, whichever friend I've tagged along with inevitably insists I must be tired and I end up resting in the shade with the toddlers.



And this past weekend Kossouka played our neighbor Seguenega in soccer that was apparently a big deal because it was televised and my host father back in Sanga called to say he watched the game!
My friend, Adama. I am beginning to realize he's like the clown jester/ mascot for all of Kossouka. Check out the patriotic chicken they painted to give to the visiting officials. 


Rushing the field after Kossouka's win :) 

Overall, life in Kossouka is going good. You're bound to hit a wall at some point, right? It is just important to be mindful of how normal it is that this is hard and not internalize the difficulties as something I'm doing wrong. And as much as everyone says 6 month slump is normal, they also say the second year is so much easier. So remembering that, I'm actually over halfway done the hardest part. Now, that's not so bad.   

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I am from Maryland and was a PCV in Mali, way back in 1998-2000. Anyway, I just came across this article and thought, I would have LOVED this when I was in Peace Corps. So, I am sharing and hopefully, you can pass it on to fellow PCV and Burkinabe. (I also lived in Ouaga for three years).

    Good luck with the rest of your service!

    Vivica

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23536914?goback=%2Egde_2565122_member_266028097#%21

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avett Brothers is playing right now on my Pandora. I came here to get your addy. You should have made Carl guest blog in all his spare time in Burkina! I heard he had a few bonus days. Oh man. I can't wait for the next blog! Or letter. Or this winter a skype video chat FOR SURE!

    ReplyDelete