Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Please... all I want is a post office (NEW ADDRESS)

I write a lot of letters. One a day to be exact. While I'll wait later in the service to broach the long-distance-in-the-PeaceCorps-thing, I will say now that letters have been a really rich way to maintain conversations, jokes, share stories, and overall keep my relationship with Carl secure and strong since being here. 

Since letters are what we decided would be our main form of communication, I was nervous of being placed without a post office by my site. Most volunteers don't have one remotely close (or easy to get to is probably more the problem) and must go to Ouaga about once a month. I knew that wouldn't work for me/us. 

During my site placement interview, I wasn't feeling too hot (ghardia seems to be a bug my body loves having around) and was worried after the convo that my fatigue had caused me not to do a good job advocating how badly I wanted one near by. 

Well, perhaps that is all I made clear because the first line, in bold, mentioned I had a post office just 11km. (!) 

Once a week, usually Saturdays, I leave early in the morning and head out. 

The road is pretty easy, only a few hills. And I get to enjoy Burkina Faso's wildlife. 
herd of sheep

Oh? Were you expecting elephants, zebras and such? I.wish. While I am living in Africa. This is northern Burkina Faso, southern region of the Sahel. Domesticated farm animals are all I got. Though, I will say, goats are hilarious and sometimes men from the north pass through easing their way slowly through on ENORMOUS camels. I had no idea how big camels were. 



Right before I get into Seguenega (SHG), I pass a large barrage. Since it is hot season, the barrage is pretty low, but normally it is lush, beautiful and full of blooming lilly pads. 

So- the new address is:
FLAMM Elizabeth
01 B.P. 12
Seguenega 01
Burkina Faso
West Africa

If you write "Par Avion" on packages it will ensure the box is mailed instead of finding itself on a ship and taking oooh who knows how long to get here. And the crosses on envelopes have worked so far! If you have recently mailed anything to the address in Ouaga, I'll still get it. And I do end up going there once a month, so no worries. 

A couple people have asked what are good items for a care package, so some solid basics that always are comforting:
- Tuna/salmon fish packets
- Flavor adders for water. Crystal Lite or there are these new liquid drops which are good since they are considerably less waste
- M&Ms. Fun fact that combines my love for chocolate and history: Why M&Ms? They don't melt! M&Ms (sugar coated chocolate) was invented as a way to give soldiers chocolate that wouldn't melt in the heat. 
- Almonds. Almonds. Almonds. 
- Snacks... bars (Cliff, Luna, Kind, Nature Valley, ect) and fruit snacks are great
- Add-Water-Foods. They say rainy season, June and July, gets really rough in regards to food  variety; onions will be about the only thing available at the market. I  expect mixes from home will be a huge help. 
- Fancy soaps. A couple friends have sent me nice soap and life here is all about the little things. Using lavender infused goat milk's soap during my bucket bath is equal to a week long spa get away anywhere else. 
- Updates! I miss you guys and want to know how you're doing and what's new

1 comment:

  1. You need a pet goat. Perhaps a pet camel. Go for it Lizzy! Love the pictures and the view. So beautiful that red dirt is!

    ReplyDelete