Saturday, February 16, 2013

My friends are pretty clever.

Two of my good friends here, Hallie and Todd, each wrote something I wanted to share. 


just clownin around 

Todd wrote a blog post about how the war in Mali is affecting us as PCVs in Burkina. The beginning is a recap of the situation in Mali; if you scroll down to the bottom, he discusses the situation in relation to our lives here. From my experience, despite living next to the no-go zone of Burkina, I am pretty much unaware there is trouble in our bordering country. I feel at ease and very safe in Kossouka; Todd's post can explain a bit more why that is. 

http://tburkinafaso.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-mali-situation.html

Following is a poem Hallie wrote about the frustrations when persistent and socially unaware tweens come over to hang out and aren't perceptive that right now just isn't a good time...

if i don't answer the door, you should go away.a poem by hallie eilerts

bitch, i don't wanna come out and play
if i don't answer the door,
you should go away.
i'm probably not wearing clothes.
it's hot in here with the door closed.
or maybe i'm busy.
in here watching star wars.
jedi mind tricks got me dizzy
fanboys all screamin' they want more
audience of one
on my ipod, son.
for all it matters to you,
i'm in a galaxy far, far away too.
knock all you want
call out my name,
huff and puff and blow,
the song stays the same.
if i don't say 'yea, one second, i'm comin,'
hit the pavement, mother fucker
start running
when i go outside, people stop and stare
yes, i'm white
you can see me coming from way the hell over there
think about that.
let's make this simple.
all day don't get a moments peace,
this house is my temple.
my alone time is sacred.
maybe you're just a kid,
but those knocks are sacrelig-
-ous.
your persistance is suspicious.
these interruptions far too ubiqituous.
you don't go nagging on Monet,
his paintbrush in hand,
brush stroke underway
nah man,
keep the interruptions at bay.
as in, excuse me, Mr. Woods,
before you make that putt,
how was your day?
my doings are prodigious.
reorganizing my toiletries shelf,
this shit ain't for my health.
time is money.
less time spent searching for my toothbrush is wealth.
check that feeling in your gut.
what's it tell you?
the way is shut.
fellowship's all tense.
ain't no way in, friend,
not past this door defense
so before you go on and----
oh, sorry what was that?
oh you want to go fetch me water?
oh, thanks!
that would be great actually. i was running low.
thank you! thanks a lot....
...and sorry. sometimes i get a little carried away.

3 comments:

  1. hahahaha it reminds me of a Shel Silverstien poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hilarious. omg. i was cringing the entire way... and then surprise!... hahaha so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd wrote a blog post about how the war in Mali is affecting us as PCVs in Burkina....hahaha very funny...door

    ReplyDelete