Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Site Announcement!


My pictures won't upload. The first picture from the Demyst post is permanently in the photo upload box and no other photos can be fully uploaded. Does anyone know a trick to fix this?
So, in about three weeks Stage (training) will be over, and I will be moving to my own site in… Kossouka! Koussouka is in northern Burkina Faso, close to the Mali border. I am pretty excited with all I have learned about the site and- fun fact- the volunteer’s blog I have found most helpful before leaving is the person I will be replacing!

The site announcement ceremony was pretty fun. They pulled a town name out of a bowl and then read the description of the site, what “amenities” are offered, what type of work the site requested, ect, and then we were to guess who was going there. Within the first sentence of mine, mentioning of a nearby post office was given, and it was obvious to everyone that site would be given to me : ) I was actually a little worried about getting a post office because I had been not feeling to well and was a little out of It during my interview; however, it was mentioned in bold in the first line, so perhaps that was all my groggy mind was able to get across.

Regardless- there are a lot of exciting things about my site: there is a hangar for shade in my private courtyard; there is a boutique that sells fresh baked bread and cold drinks right behind my house; I asked for schools and there are three in town; one of the teachers wants to set up a letter/art exchange with an American school, which is perfect because a teacher at Morton Elementary had asked them same thing; the staff at the CSPS (clinic) seems motivated and active; and I will be the third, and final, volunteer, so the previous two have acquired any possible furniture I could want (including mini Christmas tree and inflatable baby pool).
My stage group infront of the map of Burkina Faso! We placed our photos on our villages; mine is one of the pink one's up north.
 

I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving! I will be thinking of you all back home tomorrow as we have our own little celebration tomorrow at the training center. Maybe a recap of the festivities will be the next blog…? I hope you all eat some yeast rolls for me :)

4 comments:

  1. Here is what google said "If you are trying to upload images in Blogger and find this feature behaving oddly or simply not working, then try the following suggestions:

    Turn off your popup blocker. Sometimes popup blockers will prevent the image upload window from appearing. You can also add Blogger.com as an approved site in your popup blocker settings, so you don't have to disable it entirely.
    Disable any plugins you have installed on your browser. Plugins can occasionally cause incompatibilities with some web applications, like Blogger's post editor, so it's good to test this and see if it has any effect.
    Try using a different browser. The latest version of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Windows Internet Explorer will usually give the best results. If you're already using one of those, give the others a try.
    Clear your browser's cache and cookies. Always recommended, in case the problem has already been resolved but you're still getting old data from your browser.
    Make sure you click the Add selected button. The upload process isn't actually complete until you click Add selected on the final screen. Just closing the window will prevent the image from appearing in your post."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another post! I don't doubt that I'm one of many that misses you. So glad that you're placement is so fitting; I hope you settle in nicely. Wishing you a happy, happy Thanksgiving. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Lizzie B. I need to get focused on keeping that post office busy. I think about and miss you everyday. I love the blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can use that inflatable pool for a bathtub when you are sick o and just want a bath! So perfect! I might visit now.

    ReplyDelete